GOALS AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS FOR THE 9/7 SMACKDOWN
By Dave Scherer
on 9/8/2012 4:53 PM
SMACKDOWN - 07/09/2012 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
What this show needs to accomplish?
•NOC hype. I am just not sure why the same company who delivered phenomenal hype for Raw’s 1000th episode can’t get it together for an upcoming pay per view. Three of what should be six title matches have been announced and the way WWE is going, I wouldn’t be shocked at all if one of the US or IC Title is the YouTube match. The style isn’t shocking for WWE, but it needs to be adjusted
•Alberto Del Rio-Sheamus. This match is happening for the third straight pay per view and my interest level isn’t that high. I love David Otunga, but him filing a lawsuit is not adding alot to this storyline. WWE has done a good job of letting Del Rio get some big wins beating John Cena, Randy Orton, etc, but they really need to put some juice behind this match if they want it to sell for a third time
•Kaitlyn-Layla. Of all the secondary titles, I’m shocked that this one has already been announced. WWE has done nothing to try and get Kaitlyn over and so therefore I am more interested in the Eve dynamic, if at all for this storyline
•GM storyline follow up. WWE did nothing to follow up on Eve-Teddy-Booker last week. They didn’t address AJ and Booker on Raw. What will be the next skip three chapters part of this storyline? If it is supposed to be a storyline that is
•Dolph Ziggler. WWE finally let him get a win on Monday against Randy Orton and hopefully they keep consistent with protecting him going forward. I’d hope the same for Cody Rhodes as well, but I don’t think were there yet
- Smackdown starts and I hear Josh’s voice talking like nothing’s changed. I thought he was threatening a lawsuit?
- Following the opening promo segment, which I have nothing to say about we have Cole and Josh talking about Josh’s lawsuit. Kane’s been fined and Josh is good.
- I’m not sure what’s better, Miz the IC Champion being pinned or Cody not taking the pin. Either way WWE’s inner circle needs a “lethal injection of poison”, because they are far too predictable. Modernize and adopt.
- Daniel Bryan does his best to make a backstage skit with Hornswoggle work. I saw someone make the comparison that Bryan is a modern day Kurt Angle in terms of getting an upper card push, but playing the comedy character and that is definitely on the money.
- Josh refers to Zack as one of Kane’s most “celebrated” rivals.
- Zack Ryder made to look like a goof. This must have been Vince McMahon’s favorite segment all week. Bryan is pure comedy and Ryder is an idiot.
- Orton vs Sandow put me to sleep. I thought the angle after the match was good with Ziggler and Orton. Sandow taking the RKO over Ziggler was shocking. Dolph getting protected on both shows this week. What I absolutely hated is that WWE didn’t let it marinate at all, Michael Cole in his monotone voice just transitioned to the GM storyline like what happened is just a regular occurrence. You know that’s a big sign of the people in charge have been in charge for just too damn long.
- Otunga and Book backstage. Otunga makes lawsuit threats; Book makes Otunga vs Sheamus for tonight. Since Show squashed Otunga and Ryder of all people beat Otunga, I assume Sheamus should win in about five seconds?
- PTP who just like Rey Mysterio lost clean at Summerslam and are getting a rematch at NOC. WWE must be allergic to money. They are fully going through the motions as I feel like I am doing with this report.
- WWE shows us a Tout from Booker’s assistant on her thoughts on what’s happening with the lawsuit nonsense. Why do we care what his assistant says? Find a better usage for Tout.
- Kaitlyn and Teddy backstage...Kaitlyn has a title match coming up, but somehow WWE finds a better usage for her in some random backstage skit one of the sixteen writers probably came up with.
- Teddy tells Ziggler he will advise Booker to make Orton-Ziggler for pay per view. Haven’t we seen it like three times for free now?
- With no advanced hype Wade Barrett returns to Smackdown. This company...
- Wade Barrett returns with the most generic rock song as his theme. This company squared...
- Wade tells us he doesn’t have time for meaningless matches and that would be a meaningful promo if WWE actually followed through on it. It would be smart to transition this into a Ryback feud since all Ryback does is have meaningless matches.
- Otunga already putting up a better fight against Sheamus then he did against Ryder or Big Show. This is what happens when WWE treats someone like crap and two weeks later wants them to be competitive against the World Champion. Booking wrestling is just too much for Senior Citizen McMahon.
- Sheamus beats Otunga with the Texas Cloverleaf and I never thought I’d see a relation between Dean Malenko and Sheamus.
What this show accomplished?
•Two new matches announced for NOC
•Orton-Ziggler. I liked the angle that was done following the Orton-Sandow match
•It’s repetitive, but the people running this company are beyond stale and out of ideas. This runs from the Chairman to the Freebird to the Hollywood writer who knows nothing about wrestling. They all need to go. I have no issue with extended feuds, but give me a reason why the PTP are getting a tag title shot for like the 3rd time when they’ve lost two title matches to the tag champs. This is where having a sports feel to your show would be a good idea. WWE doesn’t do any long term planning otherwise they shouldn’t of had Miz beat Rey clean at Summerslam since we will now likely get a rematch based on what we saw tonight. Although it could be a case of WWE just beating another champion for no reason
•The Lawsuit and the banning of the brogue kick. Been there, done that.
•Follow up to Orton-Ziggler. They do an effective angle, but there was no selling from the commentary. Just another run of the mill night here on Smackdown for The Bubble
•Ryder-Bryan. The Bastard child gets put in his place again
•Kaitlyn was on the show in a meaningless backstage segment when she has a storyline and a title match at the next pp.
•Another brutal show. Perhaps I am watching these shows when I am in a bad mood, because I noticed my review was alot shorter than usual as well
What needs to be accomplished next week
•Revamp the storylines and freshen up the match finishes